Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Pretty Things: S.F. Sorrow (1968)

For me this is it. This album defines psychedelia. Recorded at Abbey Road the same time as Sgt. Peppers and Piper at the Gates of Dawn, this out of this world album like many others got lost because of the mainstream's relentless undermining of psychedelia and great 60's music. There is nothing out there anywhere that sounds anything like this. Considered to be the first real rock opera, this album follows a static narrative of its title character, S.F. Sorrow. The songs don't follow any traditional structure. This is, in my opinion, the best thing to listen to on acid. These guys understood how to make music that goes perfectly with the effects of psychedelic drugs. There are so many sounds on this album that you will have a hard time finding them all, and that is why this album continues to blow my mind. With each listen I hear something new.  "I See You" is one of the best psych songs ever! Taking the steps, the steps to see, taking the steps, steps to see. Listen and you'll understand. This album uses sitar in so many groovy ways. I love the Pretty Things, and I know you will to if you trip out and play S.F. Sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment