Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Donovan: Sunshine Superman (1966)

Before I begin I must let you know that Donovan is my hero. Although his whole catalog may not be described as psychedelic, this album can only be. One of the first pop albums to feature sitar throughout, Donovan defined the psychedelic mindset. On this album, and all that followed, Donovan is trying to do more than most psychedelic artists. He is not trying to write songs for fame or for music. Donovan is a gypsy, a beatnik. With his naturally psychedelic voice and beautiful lyrics Donovan is trying to spread a message. Love. The ultimate flower child in the truest sense. His music is meant to help you transcend "reality." Sadly he's been reduced over the last 40 years to a British Dylan (only because his first two albums are folk), the guy who went to India with the Beatles, or has simply only been noticed for songs like Mellow Yellow. Donovan tells you stories and gets inside of your mind. I view Donovan as one of the few "psychedelically successful people." By that I mean he succeeded in his journey. Donovan is now in his 60's and is still a very happy flower child. I saw him a year ago and all I can say is that he has got it figured out. Donovan's music is a meditation on happiness. I hope that one day his albums can be placed alongside the great Asian philosophical texts. Donovan is living proof that the spirit of the 60's is not dead, and that nothing is cooler than love. If you in anyway doubt what I am saying, listen to the last track on this album "Celeste." It at times moves me to tears of beauty. Sunshine Superman came out in '66 and was partially recorded in '65. To me this is the 1st truly psychedelic album.

No comments:

Post a Comment